Frequently Asked Questions

I've never been involved in railway preservation before - can anyone get involved?

Yes – None of the volunteers working on the class 126 DMU had any railway work experience until they began working on the train. Anyone can join!

Working parties take place under covered accommodation in the Scottish Railway Museum building (SRE2) at Bo’ness most Sundays.

There are a huge number of different types of work required to restore a train – woodwork, metalwork, electrical and mechanical, painting. With the variety of work required, you will be sure to find something interesting and enjoyable. There are also many different skill levels needed, there really is something for everyone. The best thing is – it’s fun!

Will I get to drive a train?

Possibly! You will receive the necessary technical instruction to allow you to understand both the workings of the motive power and the necessary safety rules and regulations applicable to the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway. After gaining sufficient experience as the driver’s assistant you will be allowed to take the controls under the supervision of an experienced driver.

When is the best time to first become involved?

Anytime! Our volunteers are normally at Bo’ness several Sundays every month (we normally post the next date on the home page), just drop us a line using the contact form if you’d like to join us. The DMU is located inside the Scottish Railway Exhibition building, and membership of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society is a requirement for active volunteers.

How do I get to Bo'ness?

Please refer to the main SRPS website for directions and map showing the location of Bo’ness, and information on rail and bus transport.

When can I travel on the Class 126?

The SRPS decides when it can best utilise the DMU to suit traffic and operational needs. It also normally operates during diesel galas. If we don’t have information posted on the home page, drop us a line using the contact form or call the SRPS office at Bo’ness on 01506 825855.

I'd like to donate some money to the project - what's the best way to do this?

If you are a UK taxpayer, the best way is to make a Gift Aid donation. This allows the SRPS, as a registered charity, to recover the income tax paid on the amount. Drop us a line via the contact form and we’ll get a form sent to you.

I'd like to get involved in this project, but I need further information - who should I contact?

Please contact us for further information about this project!